Saturday, March 24, 2007

I love the Maine Constitution, and the Maine Sportsman's Alliance

I love the Maine Constitution.

Maine Constitution Article 1. Declaration of Rights. Section 16. To keep and bear arms. Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.





A few months ago, after Nancy Pelosi (notorious anti-gun politician) became Speaker of the House, I decided to upgrade my NRA Membership from Annual subscriber to Life Member. While I could not afford the $750 in a lump sum to do so, I discovered an "Easy Pay Life" option that bills you only $25 per quarter... a hundred bucks a year... until your payments add up to $750 at which point you become a full Life Member. I think this is an easy and convenient way to achive Life MEmbership in the NRA if you don't have the immediate funds to do so.

I was researching the Maine Sportsmans Alliance last week, and while it seemed very strong about hunter's and outdoorsman's rights, it said nothing about the rights of individuals to keep and bear arms, so I made the decision not to join until I knew more of their RKBA stance. They might, after all, be a bunch of fudds who think that handguns and semi-auto rifles can perfectly well be banned as long as they can keep their skeet, duck and deer guns.

I'm happy to say that this is not the case. I researched a few gun bills that were proposed in Maine recently, and the biggest voice against these bills came from the MSA. I will be joining their ranks this weekend.

No comments: